The foundation stone of the church was laid on the 25th May 1854. Unfortunately the position of the stone is unknown today, but we do know that it contains a phial with a parchment inscribed as follows “A.D. 1854 ‘Glory to God in the highest.’ The Foundation stone of this church was laid on the 25th May 1854 by Mrs Elizabeth May, proprietress of the soil, who granted the site free forever” etc
The Church was consecrated on 1st May 1856 Ascension Day. The architect was Sir Charles Lanyon. The stained glass, woodwork and font are beautiful and well worth a visit.